Sunday, January 22, 2006

Flattery

Posted by Picasa I recieved a phone call from the co-chair of the Salem Art Association last week. It seems they thought my art was worthy of a donation piece to help fund the arts education. I donated last year but had heard that they were limiting the donations to fewer artists this year and they were by invitation only. Since I hadn't recieved an invite i figured I wasn't one of the chosen this year. which was OK as I have enough really, just looking for a new job. Then I got this meesage saying "we are looking forward to recieving your art on the 22nd" which was the due date. I calle dback and said "what????" she said "so sorry must have been a mix-up we have you on our list" ...so I thought about it and looked for some inspiration in the form of a quote on the them ( which is "art on the go" and decided to contribute a wearable art jacket based on the art work and a quote from Mark Rothko. The quote is "Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explained by those willing to take risks." Appropriate???? So I took a piece of discharged blue denimy cotton and overdyed with purple and painted the whole thing with "road like" swooshes and then I am going to FME these "panels" of Rothko inspiration on the front and the back. Pretty happy with this so far so we will see how much it can raise for art education at the auction. My Mother's painting last year was the top sale to date and she has out-done herself with this years painting and it will be exciting to see if it goes for more. I also added a bit to the creativity bag seen below

1 comment:

jenclair said...

Great quote, and I love the idea of a jacket! Also love the discharged, overdyed, and painted fabric. Eager to see the next step!