Saturday, July 09, 2005

The shadow knows

This is how I have felt for the last week since we left our son to start his journey to Marine boot camp. It is such an abrupt departure and with limited communication it is hard to feel like you know he is OK. And he is the last of our kids to leave our house so further making the departure sad. My husband and I have barely spoken all week as we deal with our respective grief at this change in our family, but we are coming up for air this weekend and trying to reinvent our selves. We don't know what it is like to be married with out children as I had had an immaculate conception before I met my husband. He married us both and we went on to have 3 more kids. We were both good at kids and I think we are not quite sure what to do with ourselves. Dara had a wonderful post about looking inward and that is what I am doing, concentrating on creating other things besides kids.

2 comments:

jenclair said...

Oh, Ginger, how hard this must be. Thoughts and prayers are with Conrad and with you.

Gerrie said...

Stop it!! You are making me cry! I understand your worry about him being changed. I worry that we will have a generation of survivors of this war forever changed in ways that we cannot comprehend.