Friday, June 24, 2005

my dad's father's day present from me

I was working on this before father's day but just got it finished today...my Dad is a plumber AND a philosopher....the quote says

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy : neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."
John W. Gardner

I printed the pipe image and the quote onto cloth from my inkjet and then pieced it into some discharged black satin then hand sewed the copper pipe and plumbing bits it is 29" X 10 1/2 " ( that is from the top of the holder to the longest dangle ) I shall give it to him tonight.

1 comment:

jenclair said...

I'm still smiling about "exalted plumbing" -- what a great Father's Day gift! His gift to you is also quite beautiful and appropriate.

I'm saving a copy of the quote because as a former teacher of both enriched and Advanced Placement students, I always tried to emphasize the importance of craft and trade, telling my students that I might have been better suited emotionally to something that involved both my hands and my brain :) !!

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog; it is much appreciated.